Our Day Care continued to care for 82 children ages 0 to 3 this year. Day after day they were provided with Nutrition, Socialization, Hygiene, Health Care and the love of caring caregivers. Moms were free to work because their kids were in a safe loving place.
EMBRACING HOPE DAY CARE
When tragedy struck at the Garbage dump killing over 125 people, we responded. Staff uncovered survivors, comforted those grieving, provided food for those in need and collected clothing. We helped 29 families buy new household goods, 25 with rent, and 16 more were added to the ongoing project.
This year our Schools grew to now include 186 children in Nursery school through Grade 2, with Grade 3 starting soon! Children not only received an education, but also nutrition and a supportive
environment that shows Jesus' love. Again this year EHE's Education program was recognized by government agencies.
EMBRACING HOPE SCHOOL
EH Spiritual Ministries provided ongoing Discipleship groups for Staff and beneficiaries as well as Kids Clubs every week after school. In addition, all families were visited in their homes by an Evangelist. Children also learned about character through Bible lessons and saw Jesus' love displayed daily.
Families grew in physical health...
- Breakfast,Lunch & 2 extra meals daily.
- 30 HIV+ Moms received extra support
- 645 Doctors visits, 2 surgeries & 569 prescriptions provided for free.
- Teff grain, oil and other Home Based Food distributed.
- 3,540 bars of soap distributed plus other hygiene items and clothing.
- Extra support for those most in need.
HEALTH & NUTRITION
Mothers were empowered this year...
- 95% engaged in dignity restoring Micro-savings.
- 29 Micro-grants provided.
- Over 100 Moms now have learned to read and write through EH Literacy.
- 12 Mothers continued their education in High School, College or Trade School.
- Again this year EH's Adult Education was awarded by the government.
Looking for a High School or College student willing to use their Social Media expertise to promote Embracing Hope daily.
SOCIAL MEDIA INTERN
We are looking for a professional (perhaps even retired) willing to donate some time in helping Embracing Hope to seek grants, corporate donors and larger donations.
Seeking those who will promote Family sponsorship and Embracing Hope in their churches and community groups. We’ll give you the tools.
Could you help us by using your God given talents to make a difference? We need the following volunteers.
Interested? Drop us an email at info@EmbracingHopeEthiopia.com and lets start talking!
PLANS FOR 2018
- In Fall 2017, 30 new children will be added to the project.
- Grade 3 began in September 2017...Grade 4 coming in 2018!
- In Mid-2018 our aim is to grow by an additional 30 to 40 families.
- We will continue to work toward forming cooperative business options for Mothers to work with other Mothers. Pray for an opening!
- We will continue to graduate families who no longer need intensive interventions. We will still provide Education, Social Work, Medical and Spiritual supports, while fighting against dependency.
- We plan to add a Director of Support to our Administrative Staff in the United States as well as expand our administrative base through volunteers.
- The Shannons will land in Central Asia in January 2018 to expand EH work there, specifically among the poor and refugees, after a season of language and cultural learning.
- EH Spiritual Ministries will continue to expand its reach into the
community, examining how best to serve EH families and others with the Good News of Jesus.
- Embracing Hope will be rolling out a new software database to help better meet our needs as well as a new giving platform early in 2018. Watch for details to come soon.
A CHANGED LIFE
When our staff first met Birhane and her son Bereket, they were begging on the street, malnourished and full of despair. Birhane was HIV positive and not taking anti-retrovirals. Bereket was malnourished. It was only a matter of time before this family would be torn apart.
EH Staff started with a simple intervention focused on nutrition and also convincing Birhane to start taking anti-retrovirals. Once she agreed, life started to change. Significant headway was being made in both of their lives as they became healthy and nourished. Despair was breaking and Hope was dawning.
Enough hope came to Birhane that she wanted to engage in a small business, so with a small grant she bought a sheep. She fattened the sheep and sold it. She lived off some of the profit and re-invested the rest. Fast forwarding in her life a couple of years, now Birhane owns 7 sheep and 2 cows!! She milks the one cow and sells it in the community. She fattens the other cow and the sheep and sells them when they are ready. Today life is much different for Birhane. It just took some partnership and a simple intervention.
*Names have been changed.
During 2016/17 there were some extra-ordinary activities.
1. The whole year has been spent working on the re-licensing of the Project. Embracing Hope’s license was renewed in the spring 2017 for an additional 3 years, however the Project Proposal is still in process.
2. The Valiente family had to leave Ethiopia to seek medical attention for a family member. Dr. Carlos engaged in research that will assist Embracing Hope long term, enhanced the quality of education and also brought great Technological advancements to our office to help with efficiency.
3. During 2016 - 17, EHE was not able to keep up with raising new family sponsors, however God provided through the generosity of one time gifts and the program thrived.
4. During 2016- 17, The Shannons continued working on plans to move to Central Asia. This included and 18,000 mile tour and significant fund raising for start up as well as monthly needs. 200 Prayer partners were also engaged for ongoing prayer needs for Embracing Hope. Thank you for your support. .
5. During 2016/17 EHE fed over 320,000 meals. That is over 1,200 meals per day!. We also distributed over 11,313 kilograms of Teff Grain. That’s 24,942 pounds or 12.5 tons! We also distributed oil, soap and clothing.
6. In 2016 EH benefitted greatly from partnerships with Bridges of Hope, Food For All and Operation Blessing. Thank you to these great partners.
NOTES ABOUT 16/17
US Board of Directors
Dr. Kirsten Ditzler - Lancaster, PA
Dr. Paul Van Auken - Oshkosh, WI
Dr. Jennifer Pascoe - Boise, ID
John D'Asaro - Downingtown, PA
Stephanie Farley - Chalfont, PA
Tymm Hoffman - Colorado Springs, CO
US Address: PO Box 14, Willow Street, PA 17584
US Phone: (717)902-9803
Administrator: Judy Taylor
Sponsorship Coordinator: April Fjeld
ET Address: PO Box 145217, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Embracing Hope and Embracing Hope Ethiopia are a 501(c )(3) organization registered as Embracing Hope Ethiopia, Inc.
Embracing Hope Ethiopia is a registered service mark of Embracing Hope Ethiopia, Inc.